The How to ... series
This is the second blog in our HOW TO .... series, compiled by the SAALT chairperson, Professor Rinelle Evans.
- Ensure you know where the venue is.
- Check that sign posting is clear and is still attached to walls.
- Make sure that it is unlocked; collect key from conference help desk.
- Check that it is clean, tidy, well-lit and ventilated.
- Is there sufficient seating?
- Arrive before delegates and hasten them on so that the session starts on time and without interruptions.
- Assist presenter with handouts, projection and general preparation.
- Ask presenters to complete form below; adapt according to own style or event.
- Explain where the time keeper will sit and ensure speaker understands the meaning of the time cards.
- Start promptly.
- Welcome attendants and state theme of presentation/workshop clearly.
- Give brief introduction of speaker i.e. name, institution, topic and any outstanding achievement/interest.
- Keep time using flash cards provided.
- Facilitate Question and Answer session/discussion.
- Thank speaker.
- Hand over gift, if applicable.
- Lock the venue (leave flash cards).
- Return key to reception desk.